Today, a pedestrian who has not yet been identified was crushed by a lorry. Last month, a cyclist was killed when a skip fell off the back of a lorry and killed her. A colleague has a friend who last month was diagnosed with ovarian cancer, she has a 20% chance of surviving, she is in her 40's and has a young son.
Life can turn 360 degrees in a blink of an eye. As fast as you can snap your fingers - your life can change - not just the the people mentioned above but their families lives can be turned upside down.
I guess what I'm saying is - we only get one chance at life, there is no dress rehearsal, we need to live our lives to the full because it could suddenly be taken away from us - just like that.
1-2 years ago, just before the students were due to go back home, we heard one of our young patients had been killed in a cycling accident. He was 18 years old and had been at university for 2-3months. He was due to go back home for the holidays later that week. I passed the scene of the accident on my way to work that day, I saw the ambulance and the debris. I never met the young man. I can't even remember his name. Every time I drive by the accident site - I wonder how his mum is. Apparently I'm not the only one, several of the other nurses at work also think about his mother and wonder how she is getting on.
I can't help feeling sad for the poor person whose life was taken away taken and my thoughts are with his or her family whose world must have suddenly crumbled and may never ever be the dame again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment